Friday, June 4, 2010

Countertops

We went to the Superior Stone slab yard in Astoria today to look at granite and marble slabs to get an idea of the kind of countertop we want for our new kitchen. (A few short weeks ago I did not even know that these kinds of places exist and now I am just casually discussing different slab yards - isn't life beautiful?)

I love the look of marble, but it's a porous stone and stains quite easily. Given my red wine habit that may not be such a good thing. Granite, on the other hand, is probably the most stain resistant stone and can take lots of abuse. The only thing about granite is that I don't really love the traditional look of it. I especially gag on the sight of the reddish standard shiny granite that the New Jersey Housewives love in their gaudy kitchens. So off to the slab yard we went in search of some granite even a non-housewife could love. We found some good options - the best being the White Fantasy (who came up with that name?). It actually looks a bit like marble, which, I guess, is why I so like it.

The White Fantasy!!!

Another, pretty cool looking slab was granite from a river bank, with pebbles on it. Yes, I guess I do have a thing for pebbles: 

This is called Black Marinace

There was also a very unusual marble with stripes, that could look amazing in a very modern kitchen: 

This marble is called Linac

And of course there were many many choices for the very traditional looking marble, of which I like the Calacatta Gold the best with gray and some gold veining: 

Calacatta Gold

So now we know there are some options in the granite family too, aside from the more traditional look. 

We now have to choose the cabinets. The cabinet guy and the kitchen designer (my dear friend!) are coming to the house tomorrow. I guess I should do a post on cabinet styles to clear my head on that one. I kind of know what I want, which is dark espresso with stainless steel pulls. Some upper cabinets with frosted light glass so that the look doesn't get too heavy. Once we know the cabinets we will put in, then we can choose the stone. I am leaning towards the White Fantasy granite on the island and maybe a white glass countertop on the side counters. It may be too much to have the granite all over. But I will of course listen to my favorite designer's advice as well. I can't wait for her to see the house and give me some real advice on everything. But most of all, I can't wait to see the drawings for our kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment