Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Design Overload at the A&D Building

Yesterday I attended the Opening Night at the A&D Building. It is an event for interior designers mostly and open to trade only, but a good friend of mine (who just happens to be an interior designer!) sneaked me in with her. For the mere mortal it was a design overload. But what a happy overload! There were tons of showrooms that were hosting receptions with wine, prosecco, and little bites to eat. Parteeeee! I had such a craving for the prosecco but in my condition it is verboten so no prosecco for me..just for my friend who enjoyed quite many glasses!

We started our tour with the Holly Hunt showroom, which was a totally new place for me. It is my friend's favorite, and apparently the favorite of many of her firm's upscale clients. We then moved on to the B&B Italia, who had the best party with a drop-dead-gorgeous DJ and the most fabulous new furniture collection. 

Given that I am in the process of planning my new kichen I was most interested in kitchen designs. The Varenna kitchen by Poliform was the tops! Loved it!

It would take too long to list every kitchen showroom we visited, so let me just think back to the big themes..
  1. Stainless Steel - it was everywhere. Obviously in appliances, but also in countertops, islands and cabinet doors.
  2. White Marble - it too was everywhere. There was all kinds of different looking and differently treated white marble.
  3. White and Black - most of the showkitchens where glossy white and black, simple, and even plain. There was a lot of white glass!
  4. No pulls - most of the cabinet doors had no pulls/knobs/handles, which gave the showkitchens an extremely streamlined look. Even the drawers had either no pulls or as unnoticeable pulls as possible.
  5. Induction Cooktop - all showkitchens featured  this cooktop. The old electric cooktop was nowhere to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment