Saturday, February 26, 2011

Postpartum

Remember the postpartum girdle I purchased? Guess how many times I wore it? A big fat ZERO! Remember how confident I was that I was going to lose the babyweight in no time flat? Guess how many babyweight pounds I have lost? Another big fat ZERO!

I know how simple it is to lose weight. After all, I have done it a few times, successfully. You just eat less calories than you burn in a day. Simple math. Keep your mouth shut. Eat healthy. Cut out sugar and fat. Eat more protein, and lots and lots of veggies. Drink plenty of water and green tea. So why is it so hard this time??? 

There are a couple of culprits..not that I am totally blame-free, but I am on prednisone because of a chronic condition, and that medication is known for causing weight gain due to its appetite increasing side effect. Another culprit is having literally no time to exercise. I always thought that people who said they had no time to exercise were just making excuses, but that was before I had three kids, a house, a job, renovation projects, and absolutely no time for me... Exercise doesn't make you lose weight, but it makes you feel good about yourself and gives you motivation to eat healthy and less calorie-laden foods. Maybe now that I can set up my treadmill again in the basement I can steal a few moments here and there to exercise. The third sad fact is that my metabolism probably is not what it used to be. I am now much closer to 40 and my new normal has changed calorie-wise; my body just burns less than it used and I need to adapt to that.

Ok, sorry for the rant..I just needed to blow off some steam. The battle continues! I want to be able to join my kids in the pool next summer without wearing a scuba diving wet suit.. Any tips that you have about how to make it easier are welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment