Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I don't know how she does it

On Friday night I plan on going with girlfriends to see the new Sarah Jessica Parker flick "I Don't Know How She Does It", based on a novel of the same name. I read the novel a few years back when it first came out, fully expecting to relate to the situation and maybe find some advice on how to actually do it all. But I remember thinking that even though I am a working mother and trying to make a career in the financial industry I did not relate to Kate Reddy. Her character seemed far fetched. However, some of the issues that the book raised hit home, very much actually, especially the differences on how working mothers and fathers are viewed and treated. Nobody questions a man traveling on business and leaving the family behind, but that is not the case for women..I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked if I don't miss my kids when traveling, and I don't event have to travel that much, and only a couple of days at a time. Nobody will ever ask that question of a man. Taking time off from work for a kid's school event, teacher meeting, doctor visit, etc., makes a man seem like a great human being and does not diminish his value at the workplace, but if a woman does the same, it is an annoyance. The book was funny and I did enjoy reading it. I am hoping that the movie will be as entertaining. And it is nice to Sarah Jessica Parker finally grow out of the single woman roles!


I Don't Know How She Does It Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment