Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Buyology

I have to admit that I am a recovering shopaholic. Which is to say that I do have lapses from time to time, even though mostly I am very careful about shopping. Except when I get stressed out and need retail therapy. Or have a drink before shopping (what a dangerous combo that is!). Mostly I find that it is best to just stay away from shops. Anyhoo, I am trying to be very mindful about shopping and buying, and am trying to understand my own shopping triggers in general. So when I heard about this book, Buyology, by Martin Lindstrom, that talks about the effect of advertising in the brain, I thought that it might give me some revelation about my own shopping habits and why I buy, or why my brain makes me buy :-). I borrowed the book from my local library (yes, the days of buying books are over) and proceeded to read through about brain scans and emotions, whether sex, beauty or celebrities sells, and why anti-smoking campaigns are not working.. The biggest thing that I took away is that emotions are strongly linked to our buying behavior. So no surprise there. But at least for a while, I will be more mindful when looking at an advert in a magazine, and can analyze what is it in the picture that so beckons me to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment